This semester has been a struggle for me, and as much as I would like to blame various factors, I have started to realize all the ways I have failed to be a teacher with a pedagogy or a plan. I need to remember:
1. Don’t just assign writing, teach it.
2. Don’t just cover material, interact with it.
3. Don’t just teach the course, teach the students.
4. Get the students to teach; they learn more from teaching than listening.
5. Don’t let the students disengage; confront disengagement.
6. Remember that the classroom is an environment; don’t let the environment deteriorate.
I'm sure the list needs to be much longer, but its a start.