Sunday, January 28, 2007

de.li.cious

I've been using de.li.cious for a while, mainly because my bookmark folders were getting unmanageable, and I had a vague notion that sharing some bookmarks with students or colleagues might be a good idea at some point. Right now I am working with an outstanding graduate student in our department (are you reading this!) who is shadowing Visual Culture and Language. She is an experienced blogger, great with LMS, Facebook, etc., but she hadn't used de.li.cious. We decided to do some "team-tagging" (or tag-teaming?), and see what we could both learn about the service and its potential.

Right away, I looked at de.li.cious in a whole new light. My VCL tag (for Visual Culture and Language) is helpful to me, but nobody else! I did not take a social or rhetorical approach to tagging. It looks like I could rename that tag, but for now, I think we will keep it, which, when looked at from a different light, could be particularly relevant to students (this semester or in the future). I have asked Melissa to use this tag, and we talked about what we should use as tag for hybrid classrooms. I think "blended learning" is the preferred term, and sure enough, when I did a de.li.cious search for blended learning, I got some good and relevant hits. When I did a search for hybrid, I got a lot of cars.

Both tags need additional tags, like "photography" and "film" to go with VCL, and "blogging" or "LMS" to go with "blended learning," but even as I was realizing that, my approach to tagging started to seem logical, rather than random. There might be something to this folksonomy stuff, besides a new buzz word.

Don't get lost in my cloud!

4 comments:

Miss Melissa said...

I did notice that there needs to be some organization within the tagging. I looked for some sites this AM and tagged a few. Are additional tags the way to go? Should I be tagging "VCL" and then "Comics" ????? I could see where it could easily get overwhelming if you weren't thinking about how you wanted to tag sites. I'm still playing around with it... maybe it will make more sense once I get moving.

Ha! I am outstanding. BTW... now you my blog site. Don't think I ever complained about you on it... tee hee.

Cheyenne Palisades said...

Will you please e-mail me at cheyennepal@yahoo.com and tell me a bit about de.li.cious-- even if it you over 10 minutes? A Google search did not help me.

Thanks

Scott said...

Hey there - my name is Scott and I'm new (read: intimidated) to the world of blogging and creating RSS feeds. I'm in communications and realize I need to get a handle on this. I saw a job description that said I would need to be familiar with de.li.cious and I lied (of course) saying I was. So, in doing a search to learn more about it, I came across your blog.

What I'd like to know is: A. Where would you send someone to learn more about creating their own blog and B. what user-friendly tutorials are out there for someone learning about RSS, meta-tagging, etc.-- so I can be reasonably competent (as well as do a better job of creating RSS feeds for the things I want).

Thanks! - Scott (petalstorm@yahoo.com)

oakleyses said...

nike free, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet store, tory burch outlet online, coach outlet store online, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, polo ralph lauren, michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, prada outlet, ray ban outlet, burberry outlet online, nike air max, coach purses, coach outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, red bottom shoes, gucci handbags, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet online, oakley vault, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, nike air max, prada handbags, true religion, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, kate spade outlet, burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, jordan shoes, christian louboutin, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, michael kors outlet